"Felcher???!! From Cranston????!!! YEAH!!" - Lloyd Christmas

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Trail Run: There Will Be Mud

75% done mowing the run course for the Redplum Media Trail Run and Quality Inn XTERRA Pipestem Creek. I had a mower problem this morning that is now fixed, so I should finish the trail barring rain late tomorrow night.
This course is fun, challenging and definitely lives up to the XTERRA name. It turned out a little differently than what I mapped on Google Earth, but then again I mapped it without being able to actually see the terrain. I tried to follow the natural flow of the land rather than just blaze a path straight over or through something, so you will be winding around coulees, switching back up climbs and laughing all the way down flowing downhills.
Obviously, this is off-road. If you are accustomed to only running on paved trails or a treadmill, this course will be a significant change for you. Anything I felt presents a tripping or ankle twisting hazard will be marked, but for the most part standard attentiveness will be required while on the course. NO ZONING OUT!! If you do, you'll miss the fantastic views of the river valley!
Please be prepared to get wet and/or muddy. There is one short section at about the 3 mile mark that I just couldn't avoid a natural spring seapage area. I walked through it about 20 times yesterday and it gets about ankle deep. Not straight mud, mostly clean water, but after 50-60 people run through it that could change. I don't care if my shoes get dirty, but you might. If you do, you may want to use an old pair on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers