"Felcher???!! From Cranston????!!! YEAH!!" - Lloyd Christmas

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Springtime, Mud and Snow

Every March we in the North are chomping at the bit to get outdoors to workout. Whether it's a run or a bike, that first outdoor workout is highly anticipated. One of the biggest problems with Spring workouts is what to do with all the mud, dirt and snow that accumulates on your running shoes, bike frame or drivetrain. I don't have the luxury of a mud room to deal with sloppy shoes or a hot water spiggot in my garage to hose down my bike after a workout. While I can deal with the mud and grime on shoes, I can't afford to leave that stuff on my bike without the risk of damage to components. My preferred method is taking the bike downstairs into my unfinished basement and washing it off with warm water from a bucket (I have drains down there). While requiring a couple trips upstairs for more water, this has proven to be the most effective way for me to keep my equipment in good condition.
We'll never quit riding or running in the conditions that cause the mud and dirt. It's too important, both physically and mentally, to get outdoors after a long winter on the trainer/treadmill. However, keep your equipment clean, no matter what or you'll be shelling out cash way too often replacing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers